Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Little Leather Purse

As a rule, I avoid basements; they all seem dark, dank, cluttered and unfriendly. Truth be told I avoid the stairs leading down to basements whenever possible as well. Knowing this, my husband, Jay, kindly took on the intimidating task of excavating our basement in preparation for our move. As he sorted and packed he would set aside the things he wanted me to go through, not sure if they were things I wanted to keep or not.

I discovered one such article perched on a box, quietly awaiting its fate. Next to some Christmas decorations sat an old leather purse. Not much larger then a cigar box it was the color of butterscotch left on the burner a bit too long. The purse had smooth rectangle sides that angled in to meet at the top, creating a long-sided triangle shape for the purse. Demure black stitching lined the border of the small zippered pocket on the side and a tiny gold rooster logo was attached near the top. Two short stitched leather straps served as handles and the leather was marred from wear and scratches.

I could imagine what Jay saw as he looked at the purse; it was just an old purse I didn’t use anymore. What I saw when I looked at that purse was a long hair young girl of twenty, shopping at Ayres. The girl had recently been told by her husband of six months that he was in love with someone else and their marriage was over. She was engaged in the apparently age old custom of buying expensive things that her soon to be ex-husband will get the bills for at some later date. As she strode through the store hell bent on running up that charge card her eyes fell on the small leather purse. The price of the purse was Twenty-five Dollars. An absurd amount of money for a purse at the time and far more then she had ever spent on such a thing. She had never even owned a leather purse before. By the time she had it in her hands and felt its smooth soft leather and saw the tiny gold rooster on its side, she had made up her mind. She bought that little leather purse.

I’m sure you have guessed the young girl was me, many, many years, many, many lifetimes ago. It turned out that the, someone else, was in fact my slightly older sister who I had always been very close to……. but that is a story for another day. That old purse bought so long ago will be an antique soon. It amazed me that seeing it setting there among the other flotsam that it could have the power to conjure up the memory of that day so vividly to my mind.

While I searched through the purse looking for that hundred dollar bill we all think we have tucked away and forgotten in our old purses, I found something else. I found a very old TWA (for you young ones, Trans World Airlines) boarding pass. It was a date in October of 1976, the first time I had ever flown in an airplane. I was pregnant with my daughter Christina and was flying from Indianapolis to Denver Colorado so I could drive back home with my husband that had been there in school for three months. I remember, I was wearing my favorite maternity top. It was a striped sweater in shades of green with a black turtleneck. I remember, the man I was seated next to was very kind to the nervous first time flier and helped me find my way in the Denver airport. I remember my husband’s face as we spotted each other in the airport corridor.

The people that know about these things say that the objects are not the memories and they are correct they are not. They are however the things that signal our brain to bring that memory front and center A.S.A.P. The need to keep the stuff that prompts those memories must be inherent in all of us to some degree. We treasure the mementos of the watershed moments in our lives, the births, the deaths, the graduations. We store them in boxes that fill up our attics, closets and basements. Is this our brains way of organizing our memories, are they downloaded to these items for later retrieval like an external hard drive or offsite storage facility? It almost makes me understand the strong compulsion to hoard, almost.

We continue to pack, sort, dispose of and re-evaluate our possessions and thankfully the basement is empty. The closets upstairs, yes, more stairs, await and I am sure along with the old clothes and extra blankets I will find some more powerful “stuff”.

And of course, that little leather purse and its contents will be heading west.

3 comments:

  1. Well done, you. I think I remember that purse as well. Interesting how this purse holds a great memory and a not so great memory. Almost as if they offset one another because without the one event the other would have never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, This piece touched me so much. You're imagery and details are so poignant. I agree with Shane, how one event opens the path to another. I've read it three times and tear up everytime. Keep writing and sorting Strong Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. De - I tried to post this yesterday, but didn't get it done completely.
    I read your blog Thursday and thought of it often over the next couple of days. Your description had me walking through L.S. Ayres and buying that special something myself. While it may have been a splurge at the time, a lasting memory remains even after the item is gone. It also made me think of several things I still have squirreled away in a box or drawer. Although anyone else might look at them today and ask "Why would you keep that?" their significance is more than just the material. Over the years, I have definitely found myself torn with how I could properly celebrate these tokens as memories. Of course many have gone with a GoodWill donation or just disappeared without me remembering what happened to them. My immediate response to reading your blog was that this little purse should somehow be refashioned and repurposed so it receives the place of prominence it deserves. Could it be converted into a cover for a small journal or photo album? Maybe the cover for some of your printed blog posts? What a memory for your “Moving Back, Moving Forward” journey. I really enjoyed reading this and am truly looking forward to hearing more about your journey. Well done, De.

    ReplyDelete